Monday, April 12, 2010

Sprouted Quinoa with Shrimp, Edamame, and Corn


Seeing that I have enough food in my freezer to feed a small gluten free army, I am going to try to eat up everything in there before I go grocery shopping. (minus fresh produce).

Here's what I threw together:

Sprouted Quinoa with Shrimp, Edamame, and Corn

Ingredients

1 cup sprouted quinoa *see note
1/2 cup frozen edamame
1/2 cup frozen corn
2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
about 2 cups thawed, unshelled shrimp, tails off
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce (GF of course)
few leaves of fresh basil

In a skillet, heat sun-dried tomatoes with their oil until hot. Throw in garlic and sautee for a few minutes. Toss in shrimp and cook until done, about 3 minutes each side. While the shrimp is cooking, defrost the corn and edamame and toss with the quinoa in a large bowl. When the shrimp is cooked, remove from the skillet and cut into bite sized pieces. Toss shrimp pieces with tomatoes and garlic stuff and into the quinoa mixture and toss together with vinegar and soy sauce. Finish off by mixing in some chopped basil.

This recipe is part of Amy's Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays Series over at SimplySugar&GlutenFree. Check it out.


In training News:
I biked this morning. I decided not to swim on Mondays because I cover more than enough distance on my Tues and Thurs swims. I figure as long as I get the same mileage in, it's Kosher.

* To sprout quinoa:
Take regular quinoa and rinse well. Stick in a large container and cover with water. Soak for about 30 min. Drain and rinse the quinoa and let sit on the counter overnight. In the morning, rinse the quinoa again and leave uncovered in the original container at room temperature for about another8 hours. You can continue to rinse and "sprout" for another day.

1 comment:

  1. I've never even thought of sprouting quinoa, but that is such a good idea!!

    ReplyDelete