Sunday, May 16, 2010

I'm a Free Bird

Finals are over and I am free. Strangely enough I have no idea what to do with myself. I will not be posting a recipe as I am in the process of moving and I have no food. However I have something food related to write about. *DISCLAIMER: this post may contain some TMI info.*

I have been eliminating refined sugar from my diet. it's been a roller coaster process but a relatively sucessful one... until.... finals. I ate a LOT of sugar filled products. Ice cream, cereal... etc etc. well guess what happened.... I got a a bodily infection, a bodily infection that can be triggered by stress and sugar intake. (I won't go into further detail) I was going to wait til I made an appointment this coming week but ended up going to Urgent Care first thing this morning because the symptoms got so unbearable. While at my appointment they saw an elevated level of white-blood cells which is typically caused by an infection in the body. However, the infection I had is not one to likely trigger this, unless it is very bad. I've had these wonderful expierences plenty of times before, yet never this bad. I'm pretty sure my body was in shock. I don't care if medically there is no evidence that sugar can cause this to happen but I know my body and I am convinced my increased sugar intake *plus stress* caused me to get this. Frankly, while i love sugar, it's not worth it. UC visits are not cheap *though my insurance took care of most if it.. I think, and the prescription isn't good for you as it kills off good bacteria and other naturally occuring processes in your GI tract. OTC treatments are even more expensive and don't always work. So there you go, another real life reason to limit your sugar intake.

No comments:

Post a Comment