Thursday, February 25, 2010

Meringues for Me Man.

I decided to give it another try at making meringue cookies today. I happen to love meringues. Light, airy, gluten free and sugary. I am going on a totally sugar binge this week. It all started with a presentation I did where my group handed out candy. One piece of candy apparently leads to days of sugar. More to support my belief that I have an addiction to sugar. Seriously, once I start, there's no stopping. Some people think that it's okay to eat anything as long as you make it yourself. While this might be true to someone who rarely bakes, or never bakes, this is not a good rule for me. . I will just bake something and eat the entire product. After I'm through with this bag of sugar, I will be living in a refined sugar free household. Either way it's a win-win situation for you (dear reader) and DB.

Easy Meringue Cookies

Ingredients:

3 Egg whites
1/8 teaspoon Cream of Tarter (don't add more, b/c if you do, you'll be able to taste it in the finished product)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup sugar (I will attempt to try a substitute in the future, but my limited chemistry backgrounds suggests that using a substitute that is in syrup form (honey, maple, or agave nectar) will not allow the cookies to crisp up.

In a stand mixer beat egg whites until frothy. Add in cream of tarter and vanilla and whip until glossy. Whip in sugar and beat until soft beats form. Place teaspoon sized "dollops" onto a greased cookie sheet and bake for 45 minutes at 300 degrees. After 45 minutes, turn off the oven and allow the cookies to dry out for another 30 minutes.


In other news, SB and I had a great workout in the pool this morning. We're up to 7- 50 meter sprints at the end of our workout and we both agreed that our recovery time is getting quicker. I also went on a short 3 mile run after I got back from the pool and felt pretty good except my knees were bothering me a little bit.

This week I've had super itchy skin. Like it feels like my forearms and legs are covered in bug bites, without the bumps. Food allergy? er.... it's not dry skin seeing that I moisturize like nobody's business and it's been pretty damp out. I do know that my lotion has oat extract in it and I'm wondering if I'm starting to get a reaction from this. hum.

Does anyone know a thing or two about dog behavior? The Beagle has been starting a very bad habit of barking (well, howling in his case) at every dog that he sees. Now, beagles are naturally one of the most nonaggression breeds out there, including mine, but if a dog gets too close, he's growl. He didn't use to do this. I'm not sure if he's just howling because he's nervous, because he's trying to "protect" me (lol) or if he's going nuts. Any input would be appreciated. The Beagle doesn't typically like big dogs because he gets intimidate easily, but he will do this run by bark at another dog no matter the size.

DB came to visit after he got off work tonight. He also made me dinner.. :)
Delicious steak from his family's cattle, green beans, and potato for him, not for me.
These potatoes were in our CSA share this week. They are called huckleberry potatoes and are slightly sweet like a yam but much milder. They are also slightly pink in color which I think adds good visual interest to a meal.

Here is the CSA from this week. No eggs but BEETS! :)



The Beagle after his post run bath.

1 comment:

  1. omg beets. Also, your meringues kinda look like the turkey terds I would find in our driveway as a kid. But in a good way.

    ReplyDelete