Saturday, April 3, 2010

One Down, Many more to Go

YAY! I finished my first triathlon today! The weather was horrible (though, could have been worse... read: it could have been snowing), but it was super fun! I was faster in my swim than I thought I would be and same for the run. My bike however... was slow. Nothing like a huge ego killer than getting passed by every 55 year old woman in sight.... the ones you left far behind in the swim...lol. However, my good ol' Walmart bike held up and I am still pleased with my time. My feet were numb for about a mile and a half through the run, but one I could feel my legs again, I made up for some time. The results of the entire race can be found here then click "view all". Mybike photo can be seen here and my finish photo can be found here

After our race, I prepared a yummy leg of lamb Pre-Easter dinner for DB and his parents. I read a few recipes prior to get a good idea of what to do but winged the rest of it. REsults: good. Sorry, no pictures, we were too hungry to wait (or remember to take pictures.) The amounts of ingredients are an estimate, as I don't typically measure things.


Roast Leg of Lamb with Basil Fig Sauce

Ingredients

One Leg of Lamb (we bought a boneless one from Costco)

Marinade
2 tablespoons Fresh Rosemary
3 tablespoons minced garlic
Salt
Pepper
Olive oil
1/4 cup yogurt

Basil Fig Sauce
1 lemon and its zest
a handful of fresh basil leaves
olive oil
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup dried figs

The night before, rub the lamb with rosemary, garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil, and yogurt. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Once the lamb has been marinated, remove from the fridge. Squeeze about 3/4 of the juice from the lemon all over the lamb. Place on an ovenproof pan and roast at 400 degrees for 20 minutes per pound. (FYI, lamb is fatty so this needs to be a deeper dish because the meat will render out a lot of fat and juice)

In a food processor combine all the ingredients for the sauce, using the remaining lemon juice and zest. Puree until smooth (a few fig seeds will remain).

Once Lamb is finished, cover with foil and let rest for at least 20 minutes.

Serve with basil fig sauce and watch the dogs drool.

1 comment:

  1. Great job in the Triathlon Girlfriend! I wish I could do the Hagg lake one with you. The leg of Lamb you cooked was delicious.

    ReplyDelete