Tuesday, October 12, 2010

New FiveFinger "Training" Plan

The weather is turning cold and dark. Triathlon season is officially over. I need another reason to get my butt back in gear. I'm one of those people who thrive when someone's yelling at me to work out and to do another lap or to do another 5 minutes. I have a hard time motivating myself. Ironically, (or not) I have no problem motivating others... ha.

As many of you know, I can run 5, 6 miles without problem. That is, no problem when I had a triathlon looming in the future. After my 2 miles in my VFFs the other day, I could definitely feel my muscles working. I want to be very careful to take things slowing when transitioning into "barefoot" running. I figure, I'm no worse off then a non-runner with traditional running shoes so I googled a few workouts. I came across this one that was suggested on the VFF website. This plan starts out very slow, but I think I can deal with this. My plan is to do the track workouts either after work at Hare Field, or on the chip path by my home. Am I concerned about the lack of high intensity cardio over the next few weeks? YOU BET. I have a lot of anxiety about this. However, nothing is stopping me from continuing my swim workouts and rides on my bike trainer. I am willing to slow down my running, to stay injury free.

Here is the plan below. Feel free to follow along if you're a current couch potato, or if you just need some extra motivation. It's supposedly the perfect "Couch to 5/10K plan".


Week 1:
On the track walk 1/2 lap, then jog 1/2 lap, walk a half, jog a half for 1 mile. You will alternate jogging & running 8 times (4 each) and complete 4 full laps. Now no matter how good you feel, go home. Do this 4 to 6 days a week; never less than 4 days or more than 6 days weekly.

When you complete 4 full laps, that's exactly 1 mile, now no matter how good you feel, go home. Do this 4 to 6 days a week.

Never less than 4 days or more than 6 days weekly.

Week 2:
(4 to 6 days per week) Start with a 5 minute warm up walk, then alternate walking & jogging and walk only half the distance of each jog, as follows:
Jog 1/4 mile (one lap) then
Walk 1/8 mile (1/2 half lap)
Jog 1/2 mile (2 laps)
Walk 1/4 mile (1 lap)
Jog 1/4 mile (1 lap)
Walk 1/8 mile (half-lap)
Jog 1/2 mile...go home

Week 3:
5 Days this week:
Day 1: Brisk 5 minute warm up walk, then:
1/2 mile jog, 1/4 mile walk, 1/2 mile jog, 1/4 mile walk, 1/2 mile jog; total 2 miles. Go home
Day 2: 5 minute warm up, then: 3/4 mile jog (3 laps) 1/2 mile walk (2 laps) 3/4 mile jog; total 2 miles. Go home.
Day 3: 5 minute warm up then: 2 mile jog (8 laps) NO WALKING!!!
Day 4: Repeat day 3
Day 5: Repeat Day 2.

Week 4:
5 workouts this week.
Day 1: warm up, then: 1/2 mile jog, 1/4 mile walk, 3/4 mile jog, 1/4 mile walk, 1/2 mile jog: total 2 1/4 miles. Go home.
Day 2: warm up, then: 1 mile jog (4 laps) 1/4 mile walk, 1 mile jog; total 2 1/4 miles. Go home.
Day 3: warm up, then: 2 1/4 mile jog (9 laps) NO WALKING! Day 4: Repeat Day 2
Day 5: Repeat Day3

Week 5:
Warm Up! Then jog 2.5 miles 4 to 6 days.
Week 6:
Warm Up! Then jog 2 miles 4 to 6 days.

Week 7:
Warm up! Then a 3 mile jog. You are ready for a 5K for fun. Not one this weekend? Here's your weekly 'Stay in Shape' schedule.
Day 1: 3 miles
Day 2: 2.5 miles
Day 3: 3 miles
Day 4: 2.75 miles
Day 5: 3 miles

Week 8:
Day 1: 3 miles
Day 2: 3 miles
Day 3: 4 miles
Day 4: 3 miles
Day 5: 4 miles

Week 9:
Day 1: 4 miles
Day 2: 3 miles
Day 3: 5 miles
Day 4: 4 miles
Day 5: 5 miles

Week 10:
Day 1: 5 miles
Day 2: 4 miles
Day 3: 5 miles
Day 4: 6 miles
Day 5: 5 mile

No comments:

Post a Comment