Tuesday, January 4, 2011

GF SF Pumpkin Spice Granola

What is one of the most versatile snacks? Granola. It can be eaten with milk as a cereal, a topping for yogurt, and just a crunchy snack. A lot of store bought granola are full of fat, sugar, and gluten. They also have low nutrition levels.





I've made granola at home a few times before and it has turned out great.








Pumpkin Spice Granola





Ingredients:


1/4 cup maple syrup


1/4 cup honey


1/4 cup grapeseed oil


2 tablespoons pumpkin spice


dash of Cinnamon, all spice, and nutmeg


1 teaspoon on vanilla


2 teaspoons of salt (I like mine salty sweet, you might want to half the salt)


1/3 cup flax meal


2 heaping tablespoons of vanilla rice protein powder


1/2 cup water


1 and 1/2 cups of nuts (I used walnuts)


4 cups gf oats


** optional**: chopped dates, raisins, cranberries, etc. I didn't have either of these on hand but I highly recommend the dates. They are delicious in this.





Mix all the ingredients minus the oats and nuts. Stir in the oats and nuts until evenly coated. Spread onto a greased cookie sheet and bake at 300 for roughly an hour. Check every 20 minutes to avoid burning the stuff. It also helps to stir the mixture around when you check.









I've finally found what was wrong with The Beagle. His somehow hurt his right front leg. I think it has something to do with the joint by his shoulder. This would explain his prior slow walking, reluctance to beg (highly unusual for my lil man), shivering (pain), and being lazy. He can still walk but is avoiding stairs. I doubt there is much a vet can do for him except recommend rest. I don't know. I'm going to give him a couple more days and if he's still sore, I'll take him in. He's eating fine, pooping fine and asides from not being as active, being his normal beagle self. I'm kind of upset the emergency vet didn't realize this. Especially since The Beagle yelps when you move that leg. He just gave The Beagle an anti-nausea injection. The vet supposedly asked if he normally had a good appetite. Anyone have experience with beagles? Right. I understand that vets don't have the luxury of having clients who can speak, but I feel like he should have maybe done a physical exam on The Beagle's movements. maybe he did... I don't know I wasn't there... but who knows. I guess just like with people doctors, there are good and not-so-good ones. *sigh*




Biggest Loser Season Premier! WOOT.



Workout:


Gym: 15 min each: Elliptical, stair climber, row, treadmill, recumbent bike, elliptical. Free weights for arms and core.





No running group tonight. My legs need some rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment