Saturday, August 6, 2011

Best Chocolate Cupcakes EVER!

TH left to go floating the river and camping with the boys this weekend.  I wanted to bake something good without having to go to the store.  I searched the internets and came across a gluten-free chocolate cake recipe  HERE.   I used a 6 muffin tin instead of a cake pan and baked for only 25 minutes instead of 30.  I also added 1 teaspoon of instant coffee.  It's a great recipe.  Simple and tastes like real cake!   I then decided that the only reason why I like cake is for the frosting.   I had no powdered sugar nor enough butter.  I found a quick method for making frosting which I think is also referred to as boiled frosting.  IT WAS SO GOOD AND EASY.  OMG OMG.

Thank goodness I have by KitchenAid with me in Corvo.  


7 Minute Boiled Frosting:
  • 2 egg whites
  • 2/3 cups granulated sugar 
  • Pinch of salt
  • 2 tsp vanilla
Using the stand mixer bowl, heat the egg whites, salt and sugar over a double boiler.  Continue to mix the mixture with the whisk attachment for about 5 minutes or until the egg whites are cooked. The mixture will go from goopy to runny.



Remove from heat and place on mixer and immediately whip on high for about a minute.  Add in vanilla and continue whipping until peaks form.   THAT'S it!   How easy is that.








The frosting has the consistency of Cool Whip.  But it's so yummy.  On the plus side it's also fat free.  



P.S;  I went running today.  It was warm. I was sweaty.
My pace is finally picking up.  Still slower then half marathon pace though.  I need to do some speed work.
 

Off to watch more SHARK WEEK.

No comments:

Post a Comment